• Page Views 4305
  • A Filipino-American chess teacher in New York City emerged as the victor of a chess tourna­ment in Philadelphia, Pennsylva­nia, beating around 61 players. An article from publica­tion Asian Journal reported that 55-year-old David Asuncion Apelo from Queens, New York, won the 45th Liberty Bell Open Under – 2100 chess tournament held from Jan. 18 to 21 at the Sonesta Ho­tel after scoring six points in seven rounds. The tournament, which was in a 7-Round Swiss format, was or­ganized by the Continental Chess Association under the direction of Bill Goichberg, a former president for the US Chess Federation. The story ran a statement from Apelo Asian Journal got from his team captain Nonoy Rafael, which noted the Fil-Am as saying the op­ponents he faced were “extremely competitive,” particularly because of the participation of many young and unheralded players.
    “But with some luck, my expe­rience still prevailed in the games I [played],” Apelo said in the state­ment.

    In a separate email correspon­dence with Asian Journal, Apelo also said he was proud of his vic­tory as a Filipino representative in the tournament, and noted that he was the only Filipino in the contest. Aside from the honor of representing Fil-Ams in the tourna­ment, Apelo said the prize money which amounted to $1,185 was “not bad.”

    The report said Apelo is known in Filipino chess circles in the tri-state area for his aggressive chess-playing style, “which he complements with great sacrificial instincts.” Meanwhile, Rafael was de­scribed as saying he considers Apelo as one of the best Filipino-­American chess players in the East Coast.

    According to the article, Apelo tied for first place at the 31st An­nual Empire City Open, Under­2200 section in December last year at the New Yorker Hotel in Manhattan, New York. In 2008, meanwhile, he won the Central Park Open and the Brook­lyn Blitz Open tournaments.

    The article said the year before that, he placed second behind former US Champion Grandmas­ter Sergey Kudrin in the Harlem Chess Open, while he won gold in 2004 as a member of the Philip­pine team that was victorious in the Merkeda Open in Malaysia.
    Rafael said Apelo’s next tourna­ment will most likely be the World Open, which will be conducted in downtown Philadelphia sometime this year. (Gian C. Geronimo, VVP, GMA )

     

    Share

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      2 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: