• Page Views 2863
  • Two brand new Bell helicopters from Canada and one landing craft utility from South Korea have been delivered to the Philippine military. The Bell 412EP combat helicopters acquired from Canada arrived last June. The two helicopters were displayed during the recent celebration of the Air Force’s 68th anniversary.

    “They can be used for disaster response and for the airlifting of troops and cargoes,” Air Force spokesman Col. Enrico Canaya said in an interview.

    The helicopters were acquired through state-run Canadian Commercial Corp. The air assets can conduct assault support and close air support operations and can accommodate 15 people including the pilot.

    “We will check if they (supplier) complied with the technical specifications. We will also conduct test flights. If the requirements are satisfied, we will accept the helicopters,” Canaya said.
    The Philippines and Canada signed a contract for eight Bell 412EP combat helicopters worth P4.8 billion on March 28, 2014.

    The delivery of the eight helicopters will be completed in 2017. Meanwhile, Navy chief Vice Adm. Jesus Millan said the landing craft utility donated by South Korea arrived last May 30.
    Millan said the vessel is now in a naval shipyard in Cavite to undergo machinery and equipment repairs.

    “Once it becomes operational, it will boost our troop transport support and HADR (humanitarian and disaster response) capability,” the Navy chief said.

    Millan said while the vessel was donated by South Korea, the Philippines had spent around P26 million for shipping costs.

    The Philippine Navy has five landing craft utility but two of them are undergoing maintenance.

    South Korea has donated 16 rubber boats and 200 computer units to the Philippines, one of its allies during the Korean War and one of the weakest in the region in terms of military might.
    It also vowed to provide a Pohang-class corvette to the Philippines, a development seen as a sign of the two countries’ growing defense cooperation.

    Share

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      2 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: