trump-duterte-call

Trump recognizes “great job” Duterte is doing

  • Page Views 1378
  • U.S. President Donald Trump was aware of the criticisms against Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte had received over his controversial war on drugs.
    But Trump praised him when the two leaders spoke, according to a spokesperson of Duterte.

    Philippine government spokesperson Ernesto Abella said Trump told Duterte that the Philippine leader was “doing a great job considering the weight and the enormity of the conditions in the Philippines.”
    “I’m sure he’s aware of all these considerations,” Abella added, referring to Trump.

    “However, from his point of view, it seems like the president of the Philippines is doing a sensible job.”
    Trump had invited Duterte to visit him at the White House.
    The invitation unleashed a storm of criticism in Washington.
    The White House defended the invitation made during a recent phone call, acknowledging that though human rights were an important issue, Washington needed allies in Asia to address the global threat of North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons.

    Ben Cardin, a ranking member of the foreign relations committee of the U.S. Senate, said he was “deeply disturbed” by invitation, and said he would this week introduce bipartisan legislation to send a warning to Duterte, which would include a ban on arms sales to the Philippine police.

    “This is a man who has boasted publicly about killing his own citizens,” Cardin said in a statement.
    “Ignoring human rights will not advance U.S. interests in the Philippines or any place else. Just the opposite.”
    Duterte has received widespread condemnation in the West for failure to curtail the killings and address activists’ allegations of systematic, state-sponsored murders by police of drug users and dealers, which the authorities reject.
    Duterte has also received praise, however, for his handling of one of the world’s fastest-growing economies, and a policy agenda geared toward supporting farmers and small businesses, developing infrastructure and fighting poverty in a country where a fifth of the people live on less than $1 a day.

    But critics said Trump had gone a step too far with an invitation that was tantamount to an endorsement of Duterte’s bloody approach to law and order. Duterte is also known for his foul language in lambasting the United States on a near-daily basis for what he calls a history of hypocrisy. He last week called the New York Times “assholes” for its coverage of his anti-drugs campaign. Spokesperson Abella also reiterated that Duterte had acknowledged Trump’s invitation, but had not accepted it.
    Although Trump gave no timeframe for the invitation, Duterte told reporters he could not commit because he might be “tied up” with other overseas trips.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 April 2021
      16 hours ago No comment

      The 2021 North Shore Art Crawl transforms creative places into virtual spaces.

      The annual North Shore Art Crawl is live! Now is the time to explore the artists of Vancouver’s  North Shore, for audiences local and far-away. North Van Arts is proud to launch the 2021  Online North Shore Art Crawl as a month-long virtual event from March 12 – April ...

    • 08 April 2021
      6 days ago No comment

      Luis and Jessy Mendiola get married

      Jessy Mendiola is now officially Mrs. Manzano! Celebrity couple Jessy Mendiola and Luis Manzano on Sunday revealed that they are already married. Mendiola made the confirmation through a 5-minute video posted on her Youtube channel, as well as a post on her Instagram page. The video showed the couple’s ...

    • 08 April 2021
      6 days ago No comment

      Canada COVID-19 cases breach 1 million as third wave hits

      It came from no less than the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Canada is now battling a third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, COVID-19 cases in the country have surpassed the one million mark as the third wave ripples across the nation. Canada has recorded 1,001,650 cases since the ...

    • covid-virus
      02 April 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      B.C.’s COVID-19 on new restrictions

      Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the COVID-19 response in British Columbia: “Today we are reporting three periods: from March 26 to 27, we had 936 new cases; from March 27 to 28, ...

    %d bloggers like this: