PBA commissioner Willie Marcial, ROS owner Raymond Yu, coach Yeng Guiao consider members of PH Five Heroes

  • Page Views 1579
  • A day after getting the imprimatur to represent the country in the coming Asian Games, coach Yeng Guiao and members of the Philippine basketball team met for the first time on Monday to start their short but extenive preparations at the Meralco gym in Pasig City.

    Only light skirmishes were scheduled, mostly for purposes of designing plays that will be, Guiao hoped, able to master comes competition time as his boys responded spiritedly.

    “Maganda ang simula,” Guiao, who is in his second stint as a national mentor following the 2009 FIBA-Asia, assessed. “Feeling ko, inspired ang mga bata. Alam naman natin na biglaan ito at ilan sa kanila ay hindi man mang makakaisip na makalalaro sila sa Asiad representing our flag had it not for the circumstances presently prevailing in th local basketball community.”

    PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial, one of the people responsible for the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas’ change of heart from not sending a team to eventually allowing the country’s participation owing to a strong public clamor, agreed.

    “Alam mo, dapat nga nating hangaan at purihin and mga manlalarong ito who defied criticism that they don’t really deserve being in the national team,” Marcial emphasized.

    “To me, these guys are already winners in the sense that they save Philippine basketball from being in the doldrums had earlier decision to not play in the Asiad pushed through,” Marcial added.

    “That’ right,” Raymond Yu, who co-owned the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters franchise with Terry Que, butted in. “These boys saved, too, our relations with all Olympic Council of Asia member countries for agreeing to play in he midst of kantyaw ibibabato sa kanila ng ilang kababayan natin.”

    “And for that, I consider them our modern day dheroes, ngayon pa lamang na hindi pa nagsisimua ang Asa Games,” Yu declared.

    “Most importantly, we must thank our basketball-crazy kababayans who didn’t stop clamoring that we send a team in a sport closest to gheir hearts, Marcial said. “Our thanks also go to the PBA, the SBP and the Philippine Olympic Committee for heeding the insistent demand from our basketball-loving people.”

    Given the limited time to prepare and the equally limited talents available, Guiao said his team has sufficient manpower to perform creditably and decently and win as many games possible that will make the Filipinos happy.

    “Out of this pool of players, we hope to build a team composed of 12 men who might come short of coming to the medal podium, but, win the admiration and respect of our people and those of our rivals,” Guiao vowed.

    “Sisiguruhin namin sa coaching staff at sa mga mamumuno ng ating  koponan na ang mga batang ipadadala sa Indonesia ay makapagbibigay karangalan sa aking bansa at sa pangalang Pilipino kung hindi  man medalya, “ Guiao vowed.

    “Of course, we’ll try our best to bring home that coveted basketball edal our countrymen have been craving  for for quite sometime,” he added. “

    All but one members of the team – Gabe Norwood, Beau Belga, Raymond Almazan, James Yap, Chris Tiu and Maverick Ahanmisi, all of Rain or Shine Paul Lee of Magnolia Hotshots, Stanley Pringle of Global Port, Don Trollano of  Talk ‘N Text,  Asi Taulava of NLEX,  Poy Erram of Blackwater and Gilas Cadets Kobe Paras and Ricci Rivero – were in attendance.

    Only San Miguel Beer’ contribution to Guiao’s selection, Christian Stanhardinger, wasn’t around, attending the Beermen’s preparation for their on-going best-of-seven series in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup, now in Game 5.

    Another Cadet member, Abu Tratter, filled the void in Stanhardinger’s absence by joining the light, but, inspired workout scheduled for the day that satisfied Guiao, assistant coach Coy Garcia, ROS owner Yu PBA Board of Governors member, Atty, Mamerto Mondragon, and PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial, among others.

    Before practice began, Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) president Ricky Vargas, Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) president Al Panlilio, Yu and Guiao spoke to the team in a closed-door meeting.

    The squad will leave for Jakarta on August 14 before plunging to action on August 16.

    By EDDIE G. ALINEA

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      2 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: