PAL and Cebu Pacific agree to fly back Kuwait OFWs

  • Page Views 2029
  • Cebu Pacific and PAL have heeded President Rodrigo Duterte’s call to ferry (Overseas Filipino Workers), Kuwait OFWs who wish to be repatriated, following the recent death of an OFW whose body was found inside a freezer.

    The President made the request on Friday at a press conference in Davao, where he expressed disgust over the death of a Filipina domestic worker later identified as Joana Daniela Demafelis, who was found inside a freezer at an abandoned apartment in Kuwait.

    “So everyone who wants to come home, I said to Secretary Bello, those who want to be repatriated, with or without money, I will ask PAL and Cebu Pacific to provide the transportation,” Duterte said in the press conference.

    “I want them out of the country, those who want to go out in 72 hours,” he said.

    The two local airlines said on Saturday that they will mount special charter flights from Kuwait from Manila.

    “Cebu Pacific (CEB) is mounting a special charter flight from Kuwait to Manila for free. This is in response to the call for assistance by the government to repatriate Filipino workers in Kuwait.”Cebu Pacific said in a statement that they are currently working with the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait on the final travel arrangements. It added that special arrangements are being made since they no longer have regular commercial air service between Manila and Kuwait.

    Cebu Pacific will be deploying an Airbus A330 aircraft which has a maximum capacity of 436 passengers. They will also be providing free food and refreshments, as well as baggage allowance for all passengers on the flight.

    Meanwhile PAL will be using their 363-seater Airbus A330.

    PAL said in a statement that their officials are in coordination with the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait and concerned Philippine and foreign government authorities for the necessary requirements.

    “In the service of our ‘kababayans’ (countrymen), we will be ensuring their safe journey back to the Philippines. It is the flag carrier’s privilege to be of service to those in need. PAL is more than ready to mount extra flights to Kuwait, as needed,” PAL said.

    According to the Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA), 49 OFWs arrived today at 6:30 a.m. from Kuwait via flight PR 669.

    (D. Nazario, mb)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      3 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: