Duterte expresses doubts on Marcos ill-gotten wealth

  • Page Views 1629
  • PRESIDENT Duterte on Tuesday night raised doubts about the alleged ill-gotten wealth of the late president Ferdinand Marcos, despite several court decisions affirming the former strongman’s ill-gotten wealth.

    “Until now you have not proven anything except to sequester and sell. You are not even sure if it really belonged to Marcos,” Duterte said during a gathering of local government officials of different municipalities in the country at the Manila Hotel.

    Duterte made the remark after talking about his preference to be cremated when he dies, and be buried alongside his parents’ grave instead of the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

    He also talked about the continued efforts of some “yellows” to question his decision to allow the burial of Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, which had been affirmed by the Supreme Court in 2016 as legal.

    Marcos, who started his term as president in 1965, was ousted though the Edsa People Power revolution in 1986.

    The Cory Aquino government then created the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) to go after the alleged ill-gotten wealth amassed by Marcos and his allies while in office and supposedly stashed through in local and offshore accounts or under dummy foundations.

    Human rights lawyer Chel Diokno, a senatorial candidate of the opposition Otso Diretso, scored Duterte for attempting to revise history.

    “Don’t revise history,” Diokno said. “The President seems to have forgotten about the Supreme Court’s 2003 decision that that money is ill-gotten wealth. It’s not Marcos’ money, it’s the people’s money.”

    Diokno spoke before the People Management Association of the Philippines senatorial forum at Fairmont, Makati Wednesday.

    Since the Supreme Court’s decision is a final judgment, he said the truth behind the Marcos wealth “is already set in stone.”

    “It’s worrisome because they are trying to change history,” he said, noting that the High Court, itself, had pegged the amount of ill-gotten wealth at more than $600 million.

    Samira Gutoc, another opposition senatorial bet, said since he was elected president, Duterte “has shown nothing but favor to the Marcos family.”

    “We haven’t even reached three years under President Duterte’s leadership and he is not only changing the map of Philippine territory, he’s also changing Philippine history,” she said.

    “Mr. President, you do not have business tinkering with history, especially the part on how the Marcoses amassed money through ill-gotten means, or the atrocities that occurred during their time,” she added.

    (J Montemayor with Wendell Vigilia, Malaya)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 22 September 2022
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Vhong Navarro under NBI custody for rape charge

      Metro Manila — TV host and actor Vhong Navarro remains under the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) as of Tuesday, a day after he was slapped with two arrest warrants over complaints filed by model-stylist Deniece Cornejo in 2014. Navarro’s camp has yet to file a motion ...

    • 22 September 2022
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Meet and greet with Jinny, Ramon and Surrey Forward

      The Surrey Forward party is ready to serve the city and its residents. Surrey Forward is fielding Jinny Sims as mayoral candidate in the October 15, 2022 local election, and the party also has seven candidates for council. One of these candidates is Filipino Canadian financial professional Ramon Bandong. ...

    • Queen-Elizabeth-King-Charles-2022
      15 September 2022
      3 weeks ago No comment

      Farewell Queen Elizabeth, Long live King Charles!

      The world is mourning the death of Queen Elizabeth II, U.K.’s longest-serving monarch, who died on September 8 at the age of 96. Queen Elizabeth, whose reign spanned 70 years, was succeeded to the throne by her eldest son Charles, who has been proclaimed as King Charles III. The ...

    • 08 September 2022
      4 weeks ago No comment

      Filipino concert scene returns to Vancouver

      After a long hiatus because of COVID-19, the Filipino concert scene is revving up in Vancouver. A series of shows has been lined up starting in the month of September 2022, and ReyFort Media Group is calling on the community to support these events. The ReyFort Media Group wants ...

    • 01 September 2022
      1 month ago No comment

      Boni Barcia’s summer soiriee with B.C. NDP and Filipino community

      Boni Barcia hosted a summer party at his Coquitlam residence, which saw leading figures with the ruling B.C. NDP government rubbing elbows with members of the Filipino community. Among those in attendance at the August 28, 2022 bash was David Eby, presumed frontrunner in the race to become the ...

    %d bloggers like this: