Philippine indie films continue to make waves in international film festivals.
- Fatima Maria Torres and the Invasion of Space Shuttle Pinas 25,written, edited and directed by Carlo Francisco Manatad, won Best Comedy in the recently-concluded 26th Annual Aspen Shortsfest in Colorado, USA. Manatad received a $2,500 cash prize.
- Louie Ignacio’s Areareceived the Special Jury Remi Award (Theatrical Feature Film Production – Docu Drama) in the 50th Worldfest Houston International Film Festival on April 30.
Meanwhile, nine films were officially selected to compete in the fifth Asian International Film Festival and Awards in Kuching, Malaysia, May 4 to 6. Gala awards night is set for May 6 at the Pullman Hotel.
- Imbisibol, directed by Lawrence Fajardo, written by Herlyn Gail Alegre and John Paul Bedia.
- Purgatoryo, directed by Derick Cabrido, written by Joseph Israel Laban and Denise O’Hara.
- Paglipay (Crossing), written and directed by Zig Dulay.
- Pauwi Na, written and directed by Paolo Villaluna.
- Dagsin (Gravity), written and directed by Atom Magadia.
- Laut, directed by Louie Ignacio, written by Carlo Enciso Catu.
- Area, directed by Louie Ignacio, written by Robby Tantingco.
- Dayang Asu (Dog Nation), written and directed by Bor Ocampo.
- Ned’s Project, directed by Lem Lorca, written by John Bedia. (C.de Guzman Caparas, PS)