ECOP concerned over growing underground economy

  • Page Views 1139
  • Employers called on the need to stem the growth of the underground economy as small businesses that join the formal sector would not only provide protection for their workers but would also encourage job generation.

    “Employers must develop a modus vivendi to avert the growing informality of business and encourage the growth of entrepreneurs in the MSME (micro, small and medium enterprises) sector,” said the draft resolutions of the Employers Confederation of the Philippines (ECOP).

    The final version of the resolutions will mark the conclusion today of the two-day 40th National Conference of Employers at the Marriott Hotel.

    Statistics on the number of workers in the informal sector vary. But according to a study of the International Labor Organization, workers in the informal sector stood at 22.71 million in 2017, even higher than the 17.62 million employed in the sector.

    But of that number, more than half are self-employed, 3,8 million are unpaid family workers and 6.5 million work in precarious employment.

    It is those 6.5 million workers who are a cause of concern. As defined precarious employment is, non-standard employment where pay is poor and workers are mostly unprotected.

    ECOP said as the business environment evolves because of economic, technological and geo-political developments, “employers… must collaborate with all social partners in developing more balanced policies that will ensure the security of tenure of workers, and at the same time ensure business sustainability through the adoption of more flexible work arrangements.”

    The group also said creative strategies like massive up-skilling and re-skilling and industry-academe collaboration should be adopted to “develop a truly competitive and highly-skilled Filipino workforce” that would mitigate threats of job losses and skills obsolescence due to these changes.

    ECOP urged the government to adhere to genuine sectoral representation as provided for in Republic Act No. 10395 or the “Act Strengthening Tripartism, Amending for the Purpose Article 275 of the Labor Code of the Philippines which it said should be upheld “in all levels of decision and policy making.”

    At the same time ECOP urged employers to trengthen bipartism as an added modality of social dialogue both at the enterprise and national levels in the pursuit of industrial peace and harmonious labor-management relations.(Malaya)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      2 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: