Pacquiao’s $20-M price staggers Arum

  • Page Views 2677
  • Promoter Bob Arum yesterday was unsure whether Top Rank can afford Manny Pacquiao’s staggering guaranteed asking price of $20-million for a fight with fast-rising American Terence Crawford, a fight many see as a risky one for the aging Filipino champ.

    “We’ll see,” Arum told the Bulletin from Los Angeles yesterday.
    Arum, 85, it seemed was not worried about Pacquiao facing Crawford, he appeared more to worry about whether Pacquiao can generate enough pay-per-view buys to meet the Filipino’s staggering price.

    Pacquiao’s camp had indicated that he plans to fight on April 22 against Crawford provided he is paid $20 million, an amount that was standard pay for Pacquiao’s standard fights – in the past.

    The Philippine Senate, where Pacquiao is a neophyte member, will be in recess beginning mid-March and will resume session in the first week of May, making it possible for Pacquiao to train in earnest.

    Arum says that save for Pacquiao’s historic meeting with Floyd Mayweather in 2015, a showdown that posted 4.4 million PPV buys, his PPV performances as of late haven’t been that enticing.

    In April last year when Pacquiao fought Tim Bradley for the third time, the PPV took a big blow as it only came up with 400,000 subscriptions.

    When Pacquiao fought the second time in November against little-known Jessie Vargas, the numbers again suffered a hit, just 300,000 buys. To make that fight happen, Pacquiao agreed to a massive pay cut hoping PPV will make up for the cut.

    Mike Koncz, Pacquiao’s longtime adviser, feels that the $20-m asking price is just right as this had been the 38-year-old regular purse except when he faced Vargas.

    This was Pacquiao’s guarantee when he went up against Juan Manuel Marquez, Miguel Cotto, Antonio Margarito and Shane Mosley when his PPV numbers hit the roof.

    Against Oscar De La Hoya in 2008, the PPV reached 1.25 million and his numbers improved even more against Marquez (third fight) at 1.4 million, Cotto at 1.25 million, Margarito at 1.15 million and Mosley at 1.3 million.
    Arum is actually in the process of finalizing his trip to Manila to discuss what’s on the horizon for Pacquiao. (N. Giongco, mb)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 22 February 2024
      5 days ago No comment

      Canada to open Indo-Pacific Agriculture and Agri-Food Office in Manila

      Canada is opening its new Indo-Pacific Agriculture and Agri-Food Office (IPAAO) in the Philippines. The IPAAO is expected to be inaugurated in Manila in February 2024 in a development coinciding with this year’s celebration of the 75th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between the two countries. The ...

    • 15 February 2024
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Canada, Philippines ranked in global corruption index

      February 16, 2024 — Transparency International has released its latest Corruption Perception Index, which scores 180 countries and territories by their perceived levels of public-sector corruption. The Berlin-based anti-corruption group’s 2023 CPI scores 180 countries and territories, using a scale from 0 to 100, with 100 being very clean ...

    • 08 February 2024
      3 weeks ago No comment

      Marcos-Duterte alliance splinters

      The rift between Philippine President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and his predecessor, Rodrigo Duterte, has taken a turn for the worse. Philippine political analysts say in media reports that this may be end of the political alliance that swept Marcos Jr. to the presidency and Duterte’s daughter Sara as ...

    • 25 January 2024
      1 month ago No comment

      Tara na!: Filipinos go for Pierre Poilievre

      VANCOUVER – Members of the Filipino community showed their all-out support to the Conservative Party of Canada as their leader, Pierre Poilievre, held a meet and greet last January 22 at the Holiday Inn Vancouver-Centre. Several Conservative MPs accompanied Poilievre as he talked about the latest issues and problems ...

    • 23 January 2024
      1 month ago No comment

      Rewind’ breaks domestic box office records

      MANILA — The 49th Metro Manila Film Fest entry “Rewind” is now the highest-grossing Filipino film in terms of domestic box office sales, amassing P815-million as of January 17. This surpasses the local box office records set by “Hello, Love, Goodbye” in 2019 and “The Hows of Us” in ...

    %d bloggers like this: