Lorena Calma is a talented Filipino designer based in New York City who studied fashion at the Fashion Institute of Technology and Tailoring and Art at Polimoda in Florence, Italy. She founded Awakened Heart & Mind (AHM), a conscious yoga clothing company that inspires the Filipino woman’s spirit of entrepreneurship and ingenuity in the world. The Filipino fashion designer is truly a talented and celebrated artist, from Monique Lhuillier for bridal wear, to Josie Natori for lingerie, and now Lorena Calma for yoga wear. Lorena is a proponent of the Hatha Yoga practice and teaches it as well.
- Can you tell us a bit about your background and what you love about NYC?
I currently live in New York, have an upstart yoga clothing company & teach Hatha Yoga. What I love about NYC is the intensely overwhelming energy you face daily which strengthens my yoga practice & the accessibility to right about anything & everything you couldn’t possibly imagine.
- You practice Hatha Yoga. How did you get interested in this?
I practice & teach Hatha yoga. When I was working in the fashion industry, Bikram Yoga was my physical & mental outlet.
- How was your experience in the monastery?
It was a profound spiritual awakening.
- How did yoga change your life?
In ways that words seem too feeble to describe.
- What inspired you to create AHM?
Yoga, first and foremost, and to put on clothing to do what I love to do knowing it doesn’t cause more environmental harm to the planet, or use undervalued workers or young children and has true quality.
- Who is the typical market for AHM? How can people get hold of your conscious clothing products?
Women who are active, athletic or want to be for their health and well-being, and who want quality for their buck.
- Can you tell us about your recent crowdfunding campaign which was launched during International Women’s Day? How would you describe AHM’s new collection?
I launched this crowdfunding campaign to reach out directly to our customers and potential customers who believe and can see the beauty and value of our products. The advanced technology our makers have put into each style we designed in the collection produced a new level of performance in the pieces that I never imagined we could achieve.
- What are your plans for AHM?
Lots to talk about. Essentially, expansion, expansion, expansion to be a worldwide household brand.
- Do you have any advice for someone who’s looking to build a life that they love and follow their passion?
Listen & trust their internal navigation system that never leaves their side – that is always guiding & giving signals to go the direction that one’s life is meant to go to.
Written By : Edgar Sevilla