• Page Views 423175
  • US Ambassador Philip Goldberg said yesterday EDCA, held up for more than a year since it was signed with the Philippines, is also in the interest of the US to be more present in the region.

    Washington is hopeful the Supreme Court would  hand down a favorable decision on the defense agreement, he said.

    The Philippines is set to receive a “high amount” of foreign military funding in 2016 after receiving $79 million in bilateral assistance from the US this year, Goldberg said in an interview on ANC’s Headstart.

    US President Barack Obama has promised that a big part of $140 million in foreign military funding in the region in 2016 will go to the Philippines.

    “We have upped our foreign military funding for the Philippines. It will be somewhere in the range of $79 million this year. It was originally targeted at $50 million. It’s increasing and what has been proposed is something called maritime security initiative in the region,” Goldberg said.

    “Our ability to help the Philippines (is also tied to EDCA),” the ambassador said when asked if the US support to the Philippines would be affected should SC rule against it.

    “While it has some bearing on the general situation in the region, we have a Mutual Defense Treaty (MDT),  and that is the basis for our relationship and for our mutual defense ties.”

    Goldberg stressed that EDCA is in the mutual security interest of both countries.

    Under the EDCA, he said the US proposed that there would be more cooperation in maritime security, noting, “it is an issue that has emerged as a new interest and a new challenge for the Philippine armed forces.”

    The US, he said, would also be able to supply equipment and have some rotational forces “all on sovereign Philippine territory,” not bases.

    “We are on solid ground in terms of what we are trying to achieve. I’m not saying it is just in the interest of the Philippines. It is also in the interest of the United States to be more present in the region and under the rebalance, one of the goals was to help our allies build their own capabilities and that is what we are trying to do under EDCA,” he added.

    With constitutional and legal issues raised, Goldberg said, “we hope that there will be decision soon.”(P. LiaBrago, PS)

     

    Share

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      2 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: