Philippine Pork Barrel Queen Sentenced to Life Prison

  • Page Views 2337
  • BarrelQueenAlleged pork barrel scam brains Janet Lim Napoles of the Philippines has been convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment. The charges however were not about the public fund controversy but rather regarding the illegal detention case filed against her by her estranged cousin and former chief aide Benhur Luy. Napoles was has been sentenced to reclusion perpetua or 40 years’ imprisonment by the Makati City Regional Trial Court (RTC).

    Besides imposing the penalty of a 40-year jail term for the serious illegal detention charges, Makati City RTC Branch  150 Judge Elmo Alameda ordered Napoles to pay P50,000 in civil damages and P50,000 in moral damages.

    The court said the prosecution provided strong evidence proving that Napoles and her brother Reynald Luy Lim detained Luy against his will between December 2012 to March 2013, until he was rescued by National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) agents.

    Luy claimed he was detained by the siblings to prevent him from revealing the anomalies allegedly perpetrated by Napoles in the misuse of the pork barrel allocation of lawmakers.
    For over a decade, Luy admitted, he had been Napoles’  trusted right-hand man in the operations, but they supposedly had a falling out when she suspected him of setting up parallel operations using the same contacts in both houses of Congress and certain agencies.

    Luy has since become the government’s main whistle-blower in the pork barrel scam cases, implicating three senators—Juan Ponce Enrile, Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. and Jinggoy Estrada—and dozens of other incumbent and former state agency officials.

    Reynald remains the subject of a manhunt operation by the authorities and was never arraigned for the charges. Despite the guilty verdict, Napoles’ camp remained unfazed, with her legal counsel saying they would immediately appeal the Makati RTC ruling before the Court of Appeals (CA).

    Atty. Bruce Rivera said the Makati RTC apparently failed to appreciate the evidence they have presented, adding that they are confident the higher courts would see these and reverse the RTC’s decision.

    “We will definitely appeal, since there are several points in the RTC decision that we do not agree with. There are many things there that for me are questionable,” Rivera said.

    The lawyer said Napoles did not, to a certain degree, appear surprised by the guilty verdict, considering the public backlash generated by the pork barrel scam.

    “She said it’s okay, maybe she also expected it because of the backlash,” he said, adding that Napoles insisted on her innocence of the crime imputed to her.

    Share

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 22 September 2022
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Vhong Navarro under NBI custody for rape charge

      Metro Manila — TV host and actor Vhong Navarro remains under the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) as of Tuesday, a day after he was slapped with two arrest warrants over complaints filed by model-stylist Deniece Cornejo in 2014. Navarro’s camp has yet to file a motion ...

    • 22 September 2022
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Meet and greet with Jinny, Ramon and Surrey Forward

      The Surrey Forward party is ready to serve the city and its residents. Surrey Forward is fielding Jinny Sims as mayoral candidate in the October 15, 2022 local election, and the party also has seven candidates for council. One of these candidates is Filipino Canadian financial professional Ramon Bandong. ...

    • Queen-Elizabeth-King-Charles-2022
      15 September 2022
      3 weeks ago No comment

      Farewell Queen Elizabeth, Long live King Charles!

      The world is mourning the death of Queen Elizabeth II, U.K.’s longest-serving monarch, who died on September 8 at the age of 96. Queen Elizabeth, whose reign spanned 70 years, was succeeded to the throne by her eldest son Charles, who has been proclaimed as King Charles III. The ...

    • 08 September 2022
      4 weeks ago No comment

      Filipino concert scene returns to Vancouver

      After a long hiatus because of COVID-19, the Filipino concert scene is revving up in Vancouver. A series of shows has been lined up starting in the month of September 2022, and ReyFort Media Group is calling on the community to support these events. The ReyFort Media Group wants ...

    • 01 September 2022
      1 month ago No comment

      Boni Barcia’s summer soiriee with B.C. NDP and Filipino community

      Boni Barcia hosted a summer party at his Coquitlam residence, which saw leading figures with the ruling B.C. NDP government rubbing elbows with members of the Filipino community. Among those in attendance at the August 28, 2022 bash was David Eby, presumed frontrunner in the race to become the ...

    %d bloggers like this: