DUTERTE SENDS OFF PH OLYMPIANS

  • Page Views 3013
  • rio-logoThe decades-long tradition that was interrupted for six years will be re-lived today when newly-installed President Rodrigo “Digong” Duterte presides over the send off ceremony for the Rio de Janeiro-bound Filipino athletes competing in the Olympic Games August 5 to 21 in that Brazilian premier City.

    President Digong is definitely coming to the 2:30 p.m. ceremony in Malacanan.

    “Yeah, the President is coming to personally wish our athletes good luck and boost their morale,” Philippine Sport Commission commissioner Charles Maxey assured last Thursday when he appeared as guest at the SCOOP On Air episode of daily program Tropang Bistag aired over rdio station DZEC.

    Maxey said it was special presidential assistant Bong Go who informed PSC Chair Butch Ramirez of President Duterte’s presence in the send off rites.

    “President Digong loves our athletes knowing that they, among others, have been serving as our country’s saving grace from the negative publicities we’ve been getting overseas,” Maxey added.

    All presidents from President Manuel Quezon down to Gloria Maxcapagal-Arroyo had made it one of their duties to send off and welcome national sports delegations leaving and returning the country to carry the Philippine flag to and from all international competitions as the Southeast Asian Games, Asian Games and Olympic Games.

    A tradition broken by ex-President Benigno Aquino III in the six years of his administration making him the only Chief of State who failed to do so.

    Only six of the 10 Filipino Olympic hopefuls will be on hand though to receive President DU-30’s blessing — Ian Lariba in tabe tennis, Elaine Alora in taekwondo, Miguel Tabuena in golf, Maristella Torres in athletics and Hydeline Diaz and Gregorio Colonia in weightlifting as the four others who have so far earned their tickets are still training overseas in preparation for the Rio joust.

    They are marathoner Mary Jay Tabal, boxers Rodel Ladon and Charlie Suarez, hurdler Ericson Cray, who are all in the United States and will fly to Rio from there.

    No one from the PSC could be contacted however the whole day yesterday by members of the POC-PSC Media Group whether they can cover the Malacanan proceedings although POC vice president Joey Romasanta told this writer it is most-likely they won’t be allowed.

    “TV-5 personnel have been calling us here in the POC asking how they can cover the event since the network is the official carrier of the Games,” Romasanta said. “As in previous occasions it’s the Palace which decides on the matter.”

    “Sabi ko na lang, magtiis na muna at least after six years eh makikita na ng ating mga ang ating Pangulo na matagal na nating di nararanasan,” he said rather kiddingly.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 April 2021
      14 hours ago No comment

      The 2021 North Shore Art Crawl transforms creative places into virtual spaces.

      The annual North Shore Art Crawl is live! Now is the time to explore the artists of Vancouver’s  North Shore, for audiences local and far-away. North Van Arts is proud to launch the 2021  Online North Shore Art Crawl as a month-long virtual event from March 12 – April ...

    • 08 April 2021
      6 days ago No comment

      Luis and Jessy Mendiola get married

      Jessy Mendiola is now officially Mrs. Manzano! Celebrity couple Jessy Mendiola and Luis Manzano on Sunday revealed that they are already married. Mendiola made the confirmation through a 5-minute video posted on her Youtube channel, as well as a post on her Instagram page. The video showed the couple’s ...

    • 08 April 2021
      6 days ago No comment

      Canada COVID-19 cases breach 1 million as third wave hits

      It came from no less than the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Canada is now battling a third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, COVID-19 cases in the country have surpassed the one million mark as the third wave ripples across the nation. Canada has recorded 1,001,650 cases since the ...

    • covid-virus
      02 April 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      B.C.’s COVID-19 on new restrictions

      Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the COVID-19 response in British Columbia: “Today we are reporting three periods: from March 26 to 27, we had 936 new cases; from March 27 to 28, ...

    %d bloggers like this: