Dominguez orders Customs to donate rice shipments to DWSD

  • Page Views 1022
  • Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III ordered the Bureau of Customs to donate the 30,000 bags of undocumented rice shipments intercepted earlier by the agency to the Department of Social Welfare and Development to help in the government’s anti-poverty and disaster relief programs. 

    Dominguez issued the order to Customs Commissioner Rey Leonardo Guerrero after reporting the interception of the shipment that was tagged in Zamboanga City as undocumented imported rice.  

    “Donate that to the DSWD. They can use that,” Dominguez told Guerrero during the latest executive committee meeting of the Department of Finance.

    The 30,000 bags of rice for donation to the DSWD are on top of the 16,000 bags earlier turned over by the Customs under former commissioner Isidro Lapeña on Dominguez’s orders to augment disaster relief efforts for typhoon victims.

    About 9,000 bags of rice seized in the Port of Cebu were turned over by the Customs to the DSWD on Sept. 14. 

    Another 6,921 bags in the Port of Zamboanga and 748 bags in the custody of the bureau’s Enforcement and Security Service were also donated to the DSWD on Sept. 19 and 24, respectively. 

    The Customs said it donated to the DSWD 5,040 pieces of canned goods, 109 packages of emergency survival blankets, 350 boxes of bed sheets, blankets and towels, 1,332 boxes of brand new clothes, and 153 packages of face masks from the Manila International Container Port on Sept. 21. 

    According to a Customs report to Dominguez, the bureau will donate used clothing of various volumes seized from the ports of San Fernando in La Union, Manila, MICP, Legazpi City, Cebu, Cagayan de Oro, Davao and Subic. 

    Earlier, Dominguez directed the Customs to immediately release smuggled rice and other food items seized by the agency to the DSWD to augment ongoing government preparations before typhoon “Ompong” struck Northern Luzon. 

    Dominguez said “government-to-government transfers in emergency situations can be legally fast-tracked” as in the case of the Customs’ release of the seized food stocks to the DSWD for disaster relief.

    (J. G. Rada, MT)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      3 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: