DENR Chief Lopez stands by call to shut mines

  • Page Views 2301
  • Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Secretary Regina Lopez said on Monday she stands by her decision to shut more than half the country’s operating mines and bar mining in watershed zones as an inter-agency panel began a review of her actions.

    Members of the government’s Mining Industry Coordinating Council will scrutinize the affected mines to ensure due process was followed and consider the impact on jobs and the economy after an outcry by the mining industry in the world’s top nickel ore supplier. The review could take three months.

    The council cannot overturn her orders, but its findings could feed into a decision by President Rodrigo Duterte, who has said he will review the planned closures after initially throwing his support behind his environment chief.

    “My stand on no mining in watersheds is staunch,” DENR Secretary Lopez told Reuters by phone. “It’s madness to do any kind of extractive industry in areas which are the source of the water supply of the island.”

    Lopez on Feb. 2 ordered the closure of 23 of the Southeast Asian nation’s 41 mines and suspended five others for environmental violations including harming watershed areas and causing siltation in coastal waters.

    The decision angered domestic miners which said they would contest the move. A mining industry group has said the closure or suspension of 28 mines would affect 1.2 million people who depend on the sector for their livelihood.

    She also ordered the cancellation of 75 mining contracts, or nearly a third of mineral production sharing agreements (MPSAs) for mines that have yet to go into production, for being located in watershed zones.
    Lopez, who is a committed environmentalist, co-chairs the Mining Industry Coordinating Council with Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez.

    Scientific manner

    Senior members of the mining council met on Monday to discuss the review and to assess all aspects of affected mine operations, Finance Undersecretary Bayani Agabin said.”It will be investigative and done in a scientific manner. And we determined that we will probably need experts to look at the technical, economic, social aspects of the mine operations,” Agabin told reporters. The experts would not come from mining firms, but would likely be academics, he said.

    “Even if a contract has been made, the (Environment and Natural Resources) secretary is in full authority to review contracts and make decisions based on the common good,” Lopez said.

    “The priorities I am legally mandated to comply with are in many laws.”

    Duterte has previously criticized the environmental damage from mining and said last August that the country could survive without a mining industry.

    Still largely unexplored, the Philippines’ mining sector contributes less than 1 percent to the overall economy, with only 3 percent of 9 million hectares identified by the state as having high mineral reserves being mined, according to government data.

    (M.Serapio, with Enrico dela Cruz, Interaksyon)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 10 November 2022
      3 weeks ago No comment

      Golden Gift Society receives donation, accepts new members

      A Metro-Vancouver nonprofit dedicated to helping the less fortunate continues to touch the lives of many. More people are going to benefit from the work of the Golden Gift From The Heart For People In Need Society as it recently accepted a generous donation and grew its ranks with ...

    • 06 October 2022
      2 months ago No comment

      Filipinos run in October 15 municipal elections

      At least 10 Filipinos are running in the October 15 municipal elections in B.C. The candidates are vying for posts in council and school board in different cities across the Greater Vancouver region. The most prominent of the candidates are Maita Santiago, who is running for council in Burnaby, ...

    • 22 September 2022
      2 months ago No comment

      Vhong Navarro under NBI custody for rape charge

      Metro Manila — TV host and actor Vhong Navarro remains under the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) as of Tuesday, a day after he was slapped with two arrest warrants over complaints filed by model-stylist Deniece Cornejo in 2014. Navarro’s camp has yet to file a motion ...

    • 22 September 2022
      2 months ago No comment

      Meet and greet with Jinny, Ramon and Surrey Forward

      The Surrey Forward party is ready to serve the city and its residents. Surrey Forward is fielding Jinny Sims as mayoral candidate in the October 15, 2022 local election, and the party also has seven candidates for council. One of these candidates is Filipino Canadian financial professional Ramon Bandong. ...

    • Queen-Elizabeth-King-Charles-2022
      15 September 2022
      3 months ago No comment

      Farewell Queen Elizabeth, Long live King Charles!

      The world is mourning the death of Queen Elizabeth II, U.K.’s longest-serving monarch, who died on September 8 at the age of 96. Queen Elizabeth, whose reign spanned 70 years, was succeeded to the throne by her eldest son Charles, who has been proclaimed as King Charles III. The ...

    %d bloggers like this: