ISIS destroy caltholic idols in Philippines.

Cardinal condemns desecration of Catholic chapel in southern Philippines

  • Page Views 3797
  • Cardinal Orlando Quevedo of Cotabato ‎has condemned the desecration of a chapel in southern Philippines by armed men.
    The incident took place on June 21 in the village of Malagakit, when about 300 gunmen of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) attacked Pigcawayan town in North Cotabato province at dawn and engaged in gun battle with government forces. Hundreds of villagers fled to safety.

    Cardinal Quevedo, who is the Archbishop of Cotabato, deplored what he called the “wicked desecration,” saying “these are irreligious acts that cry out to heaven”.

    “Such acts are similar to the desecration of a mosque and the sacred Quran by non-Muslims,” he said.

    “Both desecrations are gravely sinful,” Cardinal Quevedo said.
    Last May, members of the Maute terrorist group linked to the Islamic State, also desecrated the cathedral of Marawi city, also in the Mindanao region. On May 23, about 500 gunmen stormed into the city, a bastion of the Islamic faith in the south of the ‎predominantly Roman Catholic nation, and attacked St. Mary’s Cathedral taking the vicar of Marawi Prelature and several others hostage. They set fire to the cathedral and several other protestant buildings. Since then government troops have killed about 280 gunmen, recovered nearly 300 assault firearms and regained control of 85 buildings.

    “Malagakit chapel was devastated after the BIFF attack. Statues were broken and consecrated hosts scattered around the altar,” said Fr. Dominic Villa, parish priest of San Blas parish in Pigcawayan.

    The cardinal challenged the leaders of the BIFF, a breakaway group of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, to punish its men who have done a sacrilegious rampage.
    “If the BIFF wants to have an image as a respecter of all religions, it must punish its members who perpetrated the odious desecration in Malagakit and educate all its members in strictly respecting other religions,” he said.

    Fr. Villa said the statues of the Virgin Mary and a huge Crucifix were broken, and several other statues were on the floor.
    Cardinal Quevedo called on local Catholics to restore the sacredness of the chapel and pray for lasting peace and harmony among believers of different religions.
    BIFF gunmen also vandalized a public elementary school and left a stained Philippine flag.

    Fr. Villa as well as Pigcawayan Mayor Eliseo Garcesa said two weeks before the June 21 attack, the text messages were circulating about a plot by BIFF to attack Malagakit, the last Christian village from Poblacion to the marshland.

     

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 April 2021
      1 day ago No comment

      The 2021 North Shore Art Crawl transforms creative places into virtual spaces.

      The annual North Shore Art Crawl is live! Now is the time to explore the artists of Vancouver’s  North Shore, for audiences local and far-away. North Van Arts is proud to launch the 2021  Online North Shore Art Crawl as a month-long virtual event from March 12 – April ...

    • 08 April 2021
      7 days ago No comment

      Luis and Jessy Mendiola get married

      Jessy Mendiola is now officially Mrs. Manzano! Celebrity couple Jessy Mendiola and Luis Manzano on Sunday revealed that they are already married. Mendiola made the confirmation through a 5-minute video posted on her Youtube channel, as well as a post on her Instagram page. The video showed the couple’s ...

    • 08 April 2021
      7 days ago No comment

      Canada COVID-19 cases breach 1 million as third wave hits

      It came from no less than the Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Canada is now battling a third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, COVID-19 cases in the country have surpassed the one million mark as the third wave ripples across the nation. Canada has recorded 1,001,650 cases since the ...

    • covid-virus
      02 April 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      B.C.’s COVID-19 on new restrictions

      Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the COVID-19 response in British Columbia: “Today we are reporting three periods: from March 26 to 27, we had 936 new cases; from March 27 to 28, ...

    %d bloggers like this: