Vancouverite convicted of human trafficking Filipino nanny wants new trial

  • Page Views 2397
  • human-trafficking

    The Province newspaper reported on December 5 that a Vancouver man found guilty of human trafficking for improperly bringing to B.C. a Filipino nanny is seeking a new trial. The newspaper reported that lawyers for Franco Orr were in court on that day arguing to overturn the conviction.

    Last year, Orr was found to have lured Leticia Sarmiento into Canada with  false promises so she would care for his three children. He was sentenced to 18 months in jail.

    Orr was convicted on three counts under Canada’s immigration laws, of human trafficking, employing a foreign national and misrepresenting facts to immigration officials. It was the first such human trafficking conviction in Canada.

    The Province newspaper reported that defence lawyer Terry La Liberte told a three judge panel of the B.C. Court of Appeal that there were a number of grounds of appeal that call for a new trial for Orr.

    The lawyer said the Crown’s opening statement to the jury on the issue of human trafficking was inflammatory and argued that the trial judge, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Richard Goepel, was wrong to have admitted into evidence the testimony of an expert Crown witness.

    La Liberte said that the jury’s decision not to convict Orr’s wife, Nicole Huen, on the same charges was also problematic.

    “It makes no sense why the jury would pick him and not her.”

    The Province reported that Crown counsel Todd Gerhart argued that the procedure for allowing the expert to testify as fair and appropriate and the judge made no errors. He noted that there were  no issues about the expert prior to the trial.

    Gerhart also said there was nothing wrong with the jury convicting Orr but not Huen because the evidence presented to the jury differed for the two accused. Both Huen and the victim were in the public gallery of the court watching the proceedings. Orr, who is on bail, was ordered to surrender himself into custody for Friday’s appeal hearing. It was expected he would be rereleased on bail at the end of the hearing.

    At trial, Orr was found to have lied to immigration  officials in order to bring the nanny to Canada from Hong Kong. Sarmiento testified that she was subjected to humiliating and degrading treatment at the Orr residence, but Justice Goepel found that the Crown had not proved those allegations.

    The panel is expected to give their ruling on the appeal at a later date.

    Share

    Related Post

    Related Blogpost

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 14 January 2021
      5 days ago No comment

      Philippines confirms first case of COVID variant

      The Department of Health (DoH) on Wednesday (January 13) confirmed that the COVID-19 variant first reported in the United Kingdom has reached the Philippines. The B117 variant was detected in a sample taken from a Filipino who arrived from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The male patient from Quezon ...

    • 08 January 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Markus & Janella proud new parents to son Jude, no wedding bells yet

      Actor Markus Paterson shared his happiness now that he and his girlfriend Janella Salvador finally introduced their baby Jude to the public. Paterson opened up about their son on Wednesday in the online show “We Rise Together.” “Well ‘yung proseso? Well, alam naman na one day we are going ...

    • 07 January 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Bea Alonzo claims 2021 will be a ‘spiritual year’ for her

      Actress Bea Alonzo on Sunday took to social media to share her realizations on life as she welcomes the new year. On Instagram, Alonzo said she hopes to emerge a better person in 2021. “Let the sunshine in. Last year brought so many changes in my life, and changes ...

    • 07 January 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Santos to file ABS-CBN renewal bill in the House after Sotto filed in the Senate

      Reacting to a query from reporters, Deputy Speaker and Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos said she will revive the rejected ABS-CBN legislative franchise application in the House of Representatives before session resumes on January 18. Santos welcomed the move by Senate President Vicente Sotto III who filed a bill granting ...

    %d bloggers like this: