• Page Views 1758
  • A total of 11 percent of Vancouver homeowners have not yet submitted their Empty Homes Tax declarations and only have before the February 2 deadline or their properties will be deemed vacant and subject to the Empty Homes Tax.

    To date, 89 percent of all residential property owners have submitted declarations and the City would like to thank those who have declared early and urge the remaining 11 percent to complete the process prior to February 2 by going online to vancouver.ca/eht-declare, calling 3-1-1 or visiting City Hall.

    Residential property owners who fail to declare by February 2, 2018, will have their properties deemed vacant and will be subject to the Empty Homes Tax at a rate of one percent of the property’s 2017 assessed taxable value. They will also be subject to a $250 penalty for non-declaration.

    “It’s important that all owners of Class 1 Residential property in Vancouver are aware they are required to submit a declaration by February 2, or their property will be subject to the tax and additional penalties,” said Patrice Impey, Chief Financial Officer, and General Manager, Finance, Risk & Supply Chain Management.

    Impey added: “Even if a homeowner occupies their property as their principal residence, rents the home to tenants, or is eligible for an exemption, they are still required to submit a declaration so the City can determine whether the Empty Homes Tax applies to them.”

    The City recently initiated the audit program for the Empty Homes Tax in order to ensure homeowners are compliant with the new tax. The audit program, which is in line with best practices of provincial and federal tax authorities, utilizes a risk-based approach as well as random audits.

    If homeowners’ properties are selected for audit, they will be notified by a letter requesting they provide information or evidence to support their declaration. False property status declarations may result in fines of up to $10,000 per day of the continuing offense, in addition to payment of the tax.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 02 March 2021
      4 days ago No comment

      Fraser Health implements enhanced management strategies to help prevent transmission of COVID-19 and COVID-19 variants in our region

      Fraser Health is proactively implementing these new, aggressive actions immediately to protect our communities from COVID-19 and COVID-19 variants. The new actions include: • Effective immediately, we have expanded COVID-19 testing recommendations to include all high-risk contacts of individuals who test positive for COVID-19, regardless of whether they are ...

    • 02 March 2021
      4 days ago No comment

      PM Trudeau welcomes plan to revitalize and expand ties with the United States

        The Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau, today met with the President of the United States of America, Joe Biden, during a bilateral meeting. During the meeting, Prime Minister Trudeau and President Biden solidified the deep and enduring friendship between Canada and the United States, by committing to ...

    • 25 February 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Pacquiao in jabbing distance of 2022 presidency

      A new poll shows that Filipino boxing icon Emmanuel “Manny” D. Pacquiao has a fighting chance to become the next President of the Philippines. Results of an independent and non-commissioned survey indicate that Pacquiao, currently a Senator, is one of top three choices for president. Pacquiao is also in ...

    • 23 February 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Air Supply says Iñigo and Moophs’ ‘All Out of Love’ remake has ‘great production, great sound’

      International rock duo Air Supply, composed of Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock, hailed Iñigo Pascual and Moophs’ remake of their classic hit “All Out of Love” for its “great production and sound.” Iñigo sang parts of the song during Tarsier Records’ “All Out of Love” virtual media conference and ...

    • 20 February 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      U.K., California variants combine for first case of hybrid COVID-19

      Media organizations reported Wednesday (February 17) that the homegrown COVID-19 variant sweeping California has combined with the highly-contagious UK variant. The result is yet another mutation, a hybrid virus. This has started to spark fears that the new resulting virus will be more contagious. A sample from California showed ...

    %d bloggers like this: