Canada Leading International Efforts in the Philippines

  • Page Views 1812
  • Montréal, Quebec – Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of International Development and La Francophonie, today hosted a roundtable meeting with members of Montreal’s Filipino-Canadian community and announced a commitment of $5 million in additional humanitarian assistance to help meet the urgent needs of those affected by Typhoon Hagupit.

    “It is heartbreaking that the people of the Philippines have been hit once again with such a destructive typhoon while still dealing with the devastation caused by Typhoon Haiyan just over a year ago,” said Minister Paradis. “Canada’s support will help to respond to needs identified by the Government of the Philippines, such as for water, sanitation, emergency shelter, and other essential relief items for those affected by the typhoon.”

     

    canada-leading
    Typhoon Hagupit first hit the Philippines as a Category 3 typhoon on December 6, 2014, making it the most powerful storm to hit the Philippines this year. Hagupit has affected nearly 2.8 million people, and more than 43,000 houses have been damaged across the affected areas.

    The Government of the Philippines has confirmed 18 deaths, and more than 1.7 million people have been evacuated.

    Typhoon Hagupit also impacted some areas already affected by Typhoon Haiyan just over a year ago.

    To that end, Minister Paradis also announced last week that Canada will be extending the deadline for the Typhoon Haiyan Reconstruction Assistance Call for Proposals to February 13, 2015.
    This will give Canadian organizations on the ground more time to mobilize their responses to Typhoon Hagupit, as needed, and to consider, Hagupit’s implications in Haiyan-affected areas.

    “Canada is steadfast in its commitment to helping the Filipino people in their efforts to restore their livelihoods and build a better future for their country,” reiterated Minister Paradis. “Canada was proud to help in the relief effort in 2013, and we are proud to assist again this year.”

    Quick Facts
    • When Typhoon Hagupit hit the Philippines on December 6, 2014, Canada was already exploring how it could help, working closely with humanitarian partners and the Government of the Philippines.
    • In 2014, the Philippines was confirmed as a country of focus for the Government of Canada’s international development efforts.

    Share

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 14 January 2021
      2 days ago No comment

      Philippines confirms first case of COVID variant

      The Department of Health (DoH) on Wednesday (January 13) confirmed that the COVID-19 variant first reported in the United Kingdom has reached the Philippines. The B117 variant was detected in a sample taken from a Filipino who arrived from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The male patient from Quezon ...

    • 08 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Markus & Janella proud new parents to son Jude, no wedding bells yet

      Actor Markus Paterson shared his happiness now that he and his girlfriend Janella Salvador finally introduced their baby Jude to the public. Paterson opened up about their son on Wednesday in the online show “We Rise Together.” “Well ‘yung proseso? Well, alam naman na one day we are going ...

    • 07 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Bea Alonzo claims 2021 will be a ‘spiritual year’ for her

      Actress Bea Alonzo on Sunday took to social media to share her realizations on life as she welcomes the new year. On Instagram, Alonzo said she hopes to emerge a better person in 2021. “Let the sunshine in. Last year brought so many changes in my life, and changes ...

    • 07 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Santos to file ABS-CBN renewal bill in the House after Sotto filed in the Senate

      Reacting to a query from reporters, Deputy Speaker and Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos said she will revive the rejected ABS-CBN legislative franchise application in the House of Representatives before session resumes on January 18. Santos welcomed the move by Senate President Vicente Sotto III who filed a bill granting ...

    %d bloggers like this: