Campaign seeks to bring Fil-Canadian home from Philippine prison

  • Page Views 4216
  • A campaign has started to bring back a Vancouver man serving a life sentence in the Philippines.

    According to CTV, family and friends of Jesse Johnson are raising funds to try and make things more comfortable for him in the maximum security prison where he is locked up.

    In October, a court convicted the 31-year-old of attempting to import drugs into the country while he was visiting the Philippines on vacation in 2011.

    According to a fundraising page set up on his behalf, police arrested Johnson at a post office where prosecutors say he was attempting to pick up a package containing 30 grams of narcotics, CTV reported.

    In the Indiegogo site, one wrote: “We’ve been silently fighting to bring Jesse home for 5 years. Today we ask his friends and the public to hear his story and help share it so we can at least attempt to provide him with the safest available place to sleep as equality among prisoners has not been achieved where he is going.”

    “Any assistance beyond that, to help him seek justice, shoulder never-ending legal fees, and to return home to his family, is also very much welcome,” the note said.

    As his family explores options for getting Johnson back to Canada, his mom is thankful for the friends who organized the fundraising effort.

    “He’s not safe,” she said, unable to hold back tears. “I want him to just keep his head down and be good and kind to everybody.”

    Reaching out from the prison, Johnson also became emotional upon learning of his friends’ efforts.

    “The support thus far has brought tears to my eyes. Thank you all so much,” he said in a statement.

    According to CTV, media reports from the Philippines at the time of Johnson’s arrest say the package had a return address on Fraser Street in Vancouver.

    “I don’t know the entire story of the arrest and the details of the case against him,” said his mom Vangie Johnson, who insists her son is innocent, in the report.

    Johnson was recently transferred to the New Bilibid Prison, which houses 20,000 inmates in a facility built for just 8,000, according to CTV.

    Friends and family say Johnson has to pay for food and even a place to sleep in the prison.

    “The thought of him locked up in another country where he doesn’t have any friends or family and limited resources, it’s very shocking, very surreal,” said longtime friend Forrest Missar in the CTV report.

    Johnson’s case is now before the Philippine Court of Appeals. If that effort is not successful his family will appeal to the Canadian government to request the rest of the sentence be served in Canada.

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 14 January 2021
      3 days ago No comment

      Philippines confirms first case of COVID variant

      The Department of Health (DoH) on Wednesday (January 13) confirmed that the COVID-19 variant first reported in the United Kingdom has reached the Philippines. The B117 variant was detected in a sample taken from a Filipino who arrived from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The male patient from Quezon ...

    • 08 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Markus & Janella proud new parents to son Jude, no wedding bells yet

      Actor Markus Paterson shared his happiness now that he and his girlfriend Janella Salvador finally introduced their baby Jude to the public. Paterson opened up about their son on Wednesday in the online show “We Rise Together.” “Well ‘yung proseso? Well, alam naman na one day we are going ...

    • 07 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Bea Alonzo claims 2021 will be a ‘spiritual year’ for her

      Actress Bea Alonzo on Sunday took to social media to share her realizations on life as she welcomes the new year. On Instagram, Alonzo said she hopes to emerge a better person in 2021. “Let the sunshine in. Last year brought so many changes in my life, and changes ...

    • 07 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Santos to file ABS-CBN renewal bill in the House after Sotto filed in the Senate

      Reacting to a query from reporters, Deputy Speaker and Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos said she will revive the rejected ABS-CBN legislative franchise application in the House of Representatives before session resumes on January 18. Santos welcomed the move by Senate President Vicente Sotto III who filed a bill granting ...

    %d bloggers like this: