Canadian hostage sick in Philippine jungle

  • Page Views 4875
  • Canadian hostage sick in Philippine jungle

    The military in the Philippines is concerned over reports about the deteriorating health of one of two Canadians abducted from a resort four months ago.

    General Alan Arrojado, commander of forces in the island of Sulu in the Mindanao region, indicated that that there are reports about the ailing John Ridsdel.

    Ridsel, 68, is the president of TVI Minerals Processing, Inc., a firm providing mineral mining services, with its main office in Pasig City in Metro Manila, but with business interests in southern Mindanao island.

    Ridsdel was abducted from Samal island, also in Mindanao, in September alongside fellow Canadian Robert Hall, Norwegian resort owner Kjartan Sekkinstad and a Filipino female companion.

    The Mindanao-based Abu Sayyaf militant group has demanded a ransom of 1 billion Philippine pesos ($21 million) for the release of each of the foreigners.

    Ridsel is reportedly being carried by his captors as they seek to evade an ongoing military offensive.

    The Canadian mining executive is said to have difficulty in walking due to sickness.

    Being potential sources of money, the gunmen are taking care of their captives but the conditions in the jungles of the province are just too much for the sick hostage.

    The Abu Sayyaf group is reportedly in constant movement to escape the military operations.

    A video released on YouTube in early November showed the four hostages flanked by armed men in black garb against what appears to be an ISIS flag.

    The video appears to show Ridsdel appealing for the ransom to be paid.

    “We’re being ransomed each for 1 billion pesos,” he said. “I appeal to the Canadian Prime Minister and the people of Canada, please pay this ransom as soon as possible, or our lives are in great danger.”

    The Abu Sayyaf released several videos of the hostages late last year at undisclosed jungle locations.

    Arrojado said troops are continuing to pursue the escaping militants to prevent them from slipping out of the operation zone.

    Aside from the Norwegian and two Canadians, the Abu Sayyaf is currently holding other foreigners including a Dutch man kidnapped more than three years ago in Tawi-Tawi island and a former Italian priest seized last year in Zamboanga del Norte province.

    Share

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 14 January 2021
      3 days ago No comment

      Philippines confirms first case of COVID variant

      The Department of Health (DoH) on Wednesday (January 13) confirmed that the COVID-19 variant first reported in the United Kingdom has reached the Philippines. The B117 variant was detected in a sample taken from a Filipino who arrived from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The male patient from Quezon ...

    • 08 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Markus & Janella proud new parents to son Jude, no wedding bells yet

      Actor Markus Paterson shared his happiness now that he and his girlfriend Janella Salvador finally introduced their baby Jude to the public. Paterson opened up about their son on Wednesday in the online show “We Rise Together.” “Well ‘yung proseso? Well, alam naman na one day we are going ...

    • 07 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Bea Alonzo claims 2021 will be a ‘spiritual year’ for her

      Actress Bea Alonzo on Sunday took to social media to share her realizations on life as she welcomes the new year. On Instagram, Alonzo said she hopes to emerge a better person in 2021. “Let the sunshine in. Last year brought so many changes in my life, and changes ...

    • 07 January 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Santos to file ABS-CBN renewal bill in the House after Sotto filed in the Senate

      Reacting to a query from reporters, Deputy Speaker and Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos said she will revive the rejected ABS-CBN legislative franchise application in the House of Representatives before session resumes on January 18. Santos welcomed the move by Senate President Vicente Sotto III who filed a bill granting ...

    %d bloggers like this: