PBA: Arnaiz happy Ginebra ‘Never Say Die’ culture still alive

  • Page Views 2519
  • PBA Hall of Famer Francis Arnaiz is best known as part of the original “Never Say Die (NSD)” Ginebra San Miguel team during his heydays. He got the chance to see their successors, the first time in more than a decade.

    “Mr. Clutch” saw firsthand how Ginebra pulled off a pulsating win in Game 2 of the 2017 PBA Governors’ Cup Finals. Arnaiz is happy to see how the “NSD” culture remains intact to this day.

    “Absolutely,” Arnaiz said when asked if he sees the same “Never Say Die” attitude on the present team.

    “Ang nag umpisa niyan si Jaworski. It all started when we joined Ginebra. It is unbelievable that the fans are still there. Grabe! Home court advantage parati ang Ginebra. It seems lahat ng tao sa kanila.”

    “Surprised? I’m not sure. I am just happy that Senator (Robert) Jaworski started it all,” added Arnaiz.

    Playing most of his career with Toyota before the team disbanded in 1984, Arnaiz followed Jaworski to form Gilbey’s Gin (now known as Ginebra). It reprised their backcourt tandem which lasted for three more years before Arnaiz retired from the playing pro ball.

    Arnaiz recalls how they carried the “Never Say Die” attitude and how it was similar to the 2017 Gin Kings.

    “Ganito lang ‘yan eh. There are a lot of things you cannot foresee in the game. You don’t know sino mananalo. The only thing you can control in the game is effort,” Arnaiz said.

    “Yun lang eh. I see that in this team. They are ‘Never Say Die’—they still have it.”

    Arnaiz is a 9-time PBA champion and fought many wars in the league. He was best remembered as part of the famed Toyota vs Crispa rivalry.

    As for the 2017 PBA Governors Cup Finals, he believes game 3 is the most important one in any best-of-seven series.

    “In the best-of-seven, the most important is the Game 3. Pag nanalo ng Game 3 ‘yan, the chances are it’s over. If they lose Game 3, it is 2-1…malapit na masyado,” Arnaiz pointed out. “Meralco is a very good team also. It could have gone either way tonight.”

    His former backcourt tandem would attest that the series is not over until the fat lady sings.

    “It is not over until it is over but they got to do it,” said Jaworski. “You only win it by going together and working hard. That’s it! No secret to tell.”

    By: E. Hernandez, mb.com.ph

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      2 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: