Pacquiao signs to face Horn

  • Page Views 1792
  • Signed, sealed and delivered.

    Finally, Manny Pacquiao has decided to sign above the dotted line and resurface in the ring against undefeated Jeff Horn on July 2 in Brisbane, Australia.

    The fight contract was signed yesterday, Pacquiao’s Canadian adviser Mike Koncz moments after the Los Angeles Times came out with a story, saying  a deal has been reached for the Filipino senator to defend his World Boxing Organization welterweight title at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium.

    The Queensland government is partially footing the bill in bringing Pacquiao to Australia in what will go down as the biggest bout ever to be held Down Under.

    Top Rank chief Bob Arum had issued an ultimatum last week, warning the 38-year-old eight-division champion that skipping Horn will leave him with no choice but to wait until November for a fight to happen.

    Arum had actually wanted to stage the Pacquiao-Horn slugfest on April 23 but Pacquiao and Koncz thought they had something up in the Middle East: a rich payday versus Amir Khan.

    The decision to explore the possibility of fighting in the United Arab Emirates prevented Arum from getting a deal done for April, and as he had earlier feared, nothing came out with the talks when the promised $38-million purse turned out to be just a mirage.

    Pacquiao (59-6-2 with 38 KOs) hasn’t fought since outpointing Jessie Vargas last November at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

    Horn (16-0-1 with 11 KOs) easily stopped Ali Funeka of South Africa last December in Auckland, New Zealand, with Arum in attendance.

    “People (Pacquiao and Horn) have agreed on essential points,” Arum told the Times.
    The Australian media reports that Pacquiao is guaranteed about $7-million to $8 million for the Horn match.

    But not all is lost in the lucrative proposal for Pacquiao to fight Khan, according to Koncz, who is working to import Khan so he can meet Pacquiao in the country.

    “Working on putting a deal together to fight Amir in October or November either in the Middle East or in the Philippines,” said Koncz.(N. Giongco, mb)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 14 October 2021
      6 days ago No comment

      3 Steps to getting your BC Vaccine Card

      Related

    • 14 October 2021
      6 days ago No comment

      Maria Ressa’s Nobel Peace Prize is an international Rebuke of the Duterte Regime

      The Malaya Movement in Canada congratulates Maria Ressa as co-recipient of the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize. In its announcement, the Nobel Committee cited Ms. Ressa’s efforts to safeguard freedom of expression, which is a precondition for democracy and lasting peace. Ms Ressa …[is] receiving the Peace Prize for [her] ...

    • 14 October 2021
      6 days ago No comment

      Fil-Cans unite, launch Vancouver, BC 4 LENI 2022

      As the Philippine presidential election draws closer and closer, groups are getting together to support the candidate they feel must become the next president of the country. Filipino-Canadians from all over British Columbia’s Lower Mainland gathered together at the King George Grill Hub in Surrey to gather support for ...

    • 07 October 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      The Miracle Wedding of the Year

      Many of the most great love stories are tragic ones. On this extraordinary pandemic times and on what they went through the couple Laura and Brian you’ll expect it to end with the same way. But to everyone’s joy, it didn’t have the tragic ending like the romance of ...

    • 07 October 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Jane de Leon excited and quite nervous  to meet director Chito Roño

      I hope to be able to meet his expectations of me,” said Jane de Leon, lead star of “Darna: The TV Series,” her reaction to the news that highly acclaimed director Chito Roño would be officially taking the helm in the much-awaited TV adaptation of the country’s iconic superheroine. ...

    %d bloggers like this: