Business tycoon offers to build drainage system in Boracay

  • Page Views 1616
  • BUSINESS tycoon Lucio Tan has offered to build a second drainage system in Boracay Island, a Palace official said.

    In a radio interview on Monday, Palace spokesman Harry Roque Jr. said Tan sent a letter to the concerned agencies regarding his offer.

    “There’s a letter from Lucio Tan, because he owns the Boracay Tubi there, he supplies water but he has no sewerage system. He said he wants to build a drainage,” Roque said in an interview with dzMM radio.

    Aside from the Boracay Island Water Company, Inc., Tan also supplies water to the island through Boracay Tubi.
    Roque said Tan’s proposed drainage system would connect to a wastewater treatment facility, ensuring that the water that comes out to the sea is clean.

    “And the drainage will connect to a waste water treatment. So it means the rainwater, the water used by other people will be treated,” he said.

    Environment Undersecretary Jonas Leones said his office has asked Tan to provide more details about his proposal.

    Tan’s plan comes as a government panel composed of the Departments of Environment and Natural Resources, Interior and Local Government, and Tourism recommended the closure of Boracay for six months beginning April 26.

    The recommendation is subject to President Rodrigo Duterte’s approval.

    Duterte likened the world-famous tourist destination to a “cesspool,” prompting the creation of an inter-agency task force for the rehabilitation of the island.

    On March 20, the President expressed support for the recommended temporary closure of Boracay.

    Last week, Roque said Duterte might consider implementing the recommendation during the “lean season” to allow the nonstop construction of drainage and sewage systems in the entire island.

    “We’re looking at possibly, if the President finally accepts the recommendation, (Boracay will be closed during) lean season,” the Palace official said.

    “They want to close it so they can do all the required capital investments for the drainage and sewage treatment unimpeded by tourists and other individuals. So if they decide to actually construct waste water facilities and waste drainage system, they would have to destroy all roads, to expand all roads, put treatments under the roads,” he added. (C.S. Valente, TMT)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 22 January 2021
      3 days ago No comment

      Stars celebrate Angel Locsin’s Philippine Red Cross recognition

      Fellow celebrities congratulated actress Angel Locsin for receiving the “Spirit of Philanthropy” award from humanitarian organization Philippine Red Cross. The 35-year-old actress shared a picture of her holding the certificate and expressed her gratitude to the organization she is an ambassador of. “Thank you @philredcross,” Locsin wrote as a ...

    • 22 January 2021
      3 days ago No comment

      Philippines sees warm ties between Duterte, Biden

      Joe Biden was sworn in Wednesday (January 20) as the 46th president of the United States. Biden took the oath in Washington DC, saying the “will of the people has been heard, and the will of the people has been heeded”. “We’ve learned again that democracy is precious and ...

    • 22 January 2021
      3 days ago No comment

      COVID-19 hospitalizations, death rise in Canada

      Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said on Wednesday (January 20) that hospitalizations and deaths due to COVID-19 continue to rise. In a statement, Tam said that hospitalizations and deaths are “still increasing”. “Provincial and territorial data indicate that an average of 4,737 people with COVID-19 were ...

    • 21 January 2021
      4 days ago No comment

      ABS-CBN, TV5 team up to bring ‘ASAP Natin ‘To’ to nationwide viewers

      Beginning January 24, ABS-CBN’s “ASAP Natin ‘To” will reach more Filipinos nationwide as it joins the Sunday programming of TV5, through a landmark partnership between the two networks. ABS-CBN Corp. made the announcement in a disclosure filed with the Philippine Stock Exchange on Thursday. The long-running concert variety show, ...

    • 20 January 2021
      4 days ago No comment

      JUAN ON JUAN:Rosette Correa starts new series for ReyFort Media Group

      Rosette Correa starts new Juan on Juan series for ReyFort Media Group Rosette Correa wears a lot of hats in the local community with a singular vision of uplifting Filipino Canadians. Correa, a multi-media journalist, anchors Philippine News Canada-Balitang Vancouver, a prime TV news program aired over Shaw Multicultural ...

    %d bloggers like this: