Battle looms over Pacquiao-Horn 2 hosting rights

  • Page Views 7169
  • A tug-of-war for the right to stage Manny Pacquiao’s rematch with Jeff Horn looms between Manila and Brisbane, Australia, as the two cities have expressed keenness in hosting the bout.

    Days after Brisbane Lord Mayor Graham Quirk confirmed that the city will again be the venue for the fight. Philippine Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo made a contrasting announcement.

    Speaking at the Balitaan sa Department of Tourism briefing Tuesday, Teo said she is working with Pacquiao’s camp on the possibility of holding the rematch at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan this December.

    Teo said she had been in touch with Pacquiao’s business manager, 1-PACMAN party-list Rep. Eric Pineda, about the DOT providing financial backing to make the fight possible.

    “Just this morning we have talked to Cong. Eric Pineda. He was asking us if we could sponsor the Pacquiao fight this coming December. So we’re working on that,” the tourism chief said.

    Wanda’s announcement comes in direct contrast with Quirk’s statement claiming that the 55,000-seat Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane will again be the site for Pacquiao-Horn 2.

    “This (rematch) is now confirmed it will happen. I have had a meeting earlier today which has confirmed that Manny Pacquiao will definitely be in Brisbane this year for a rematch with Jeff Horn,” Quirk earlier told The Sydney Morning Herald.

    Brisbane, Australia’s third largest city, played a key role in the staging of Pacquiao-Horn last July 2, putting up a significant amount of money to meet Pacquiao’s purse demand.

    Now, it appears the Pacquiao camp wants the DOT to do the same in order for the rematch to happen on Philippine soil.

    In an email to Philstar.com, Sean Lawson of Duco Events — Horn’s promoter — said they were unaware of the Philippine government’s desire to host the fight.

    “First I’ve heard of this. I’ll try to get a response from the Horn camp but I’m pretty sure this will be news to them as well,” Lawson wrote.

    Meanwhile, Philstar.com sought a comment from one of Pacquiao’s top aides, who said he still has to consult the fighting senator regarding the matter.

    Pacquiao lost to Horn last month in an action-packed fight that went to the judges’ scorecards. The Filipino icon has been insisting that he won the bout and wants to exercise his rematch clause.

    Top Rank Inc. chief Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s longtime promoter, earlier set November 12 as the tentative date for Pacquiao-Horn 2.

    (D. Maragay, PS)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 22 September 2022
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Vhong Navarro under NBI custody for rape charge

      Metro Manila — TV host and actor Vhong Navarro remains under the custody of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) as of Tuesday, a day after he was slapped with two arrest warrants over complaints filed by model-stylist Deniece Cornejo in 2014. Navarro’s camp has yet to file a motion ...

    • 22 September 2022
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Meet and greet with Jinny, Ramon and Surrey Forward

      The Surrey Forward party is ready to serve the city and its residents. Surrey Forward is fielding Jinny Sims as mayoral candidate in the October 15, 2022 local election, and the party also has seven candidates for council. One of these candidates is Filipino Canadian financial professional Ramon Bandong. ...

    • Queen-Elizabeth-King-Charles-2022
      15 September 2022
      3 weeks ago No comment

      Farewell Queen Elizabeth, Long live King Charles!

      The world is mourning the death of Queen Elizabeth II, U.K.’s longest-serving monarch, who died on September 8 at the age of 96. Queen Elizabeth, whose reign spanned 70 years, was succeeded to the throne by her eldest son Charles, who has been proclaimed as King Charles III. The ...

    • 08 September 2022
      4 weeks ago No comment

      Filipino concert scene returns to Vancouver

      After a long hiatus because of COVID-19, the Filipino concert scene is revving up in Vancouver. A series of shows has been lined up starting in the month of September 2022, and ReyFort Media Group is calling on the community to support these events. The ReyFort Media Group wants ...

    • 01 September 2022
      1 month ago No comment

      Boni Barcia’s summer soiriee with B.C. NDP and Filipino community

      Boni Barcia hosted a summer party at his Coquitlam residence, which saw leading figures with the ruling B.C. NDP government rubbing elbows with members of the Filipino community. Among those in attendance at the August 28, 2022 bash was David Eby, presumed frontrunner in the race to become the ...

    %d bloggers like this: