ABS-CBN shutdown may lead into another ‘crony capitalist era’

  • Page Views 1002
  • MANILA – If the Philippine government’s move to shut down broadcast network ABS-CBN succeeds, the country “may be at the beginning of another crony capitalist era that’s even darker than the Marcos dictatorship,” a democracy watchdog said Wednesday.

    “The removal of ABS-CBN’s franchise will have direct implications on thousands of Filipino families who are employed by the network and its allied industries,” Democracy Watch Philippines said in a statement.

    The government’s top lawyer, Solicitor General Jose Calida, earlier filed a quo warranto petition before the Supreme Court invalidating ABS-CBN’s current license.
    This, as several bills seeking an extension of ABS-CBN’s franchise — which will expire on March 30, 2020 — remain pending in Congress despite public calls to tackle the issue of the network’s renewal.

    Democracy Watch Philippines said Calida’s filing was “another instance of the Duterte administration selectively wielding its authority to harass and stifle criticism and opposition.”

    “How ironic, that Calida, who purports to represent the Filipino people’s interest and harness their popular support, proudly files a case that will cause the loss of thousands of jobs and may set the precedent for more attacks against enterprises deemed as political enemies of the administration,” the watchdog said.

    The broadcast giant employs at least 11,000 employers, most coming from the media and entertainment industry.

    The communications department of the Polytechnic of the University of the Philippines (PUP), meanwhile, said the move to block the franchise renewal is “unacceptable” for a democratic country.

    “Ang malayang pamamahayag ang isa sa mga pinakamatitibay na pundasyon ng isang demokratikong bansa,” it said in a statement.

    President Rodrigo Duterte has repeatedly said he will block the franchise renewal, citing its alleged biased reporting and failure to air his political advertisement during the 2016 presidential elections campaign period.

    Supporters for the franchise renewal recalled the broadcast network’s fate during the Marcos era and said that “the shutdown of ABS-CBN due to a mere personal grudge by the Chief Executive is evocative of the forced shutdown of radio and TV stations during the Marcos martial rule in 1972.” (abs-cbn news )

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 14 January 2021
      6 days ago No comment

      Philippines confirms first case of COVID variant

      The Department of Health (DoH) on Wednesday (January 13) confirmed that the COVID-19 variant first reported in the United Kingdom has reached the Philippines. The B117 variant was detected in a sample taken from a Filipino who arrived from the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The male patient from Quezon ...

    • 08 January 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Markus & Janella proud new parents to son Jude, no wedding bells yet

      Actor Markus Paterson shared his happiness now that he and his girlfriend Janella Salvador finally introduced their baby Jude to the public. Paterson opened up about their son on Wednesday in the online show “We Rise Together.” “Well ‘yung proseso? Well, alam naman na one day we are going ...

    • 07 January 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Bea Alonzo claims 2021 will be a ‘spiritual year’ for her

      Actress Bea Alonzo on Sunday took to social media to share her realizations on life as she welcomes the new year. On Instagram, Alonzo said she hopes to emerge a better person in 2021. “Let the sunshine in. Last year brought so many changes in my life, and changes ...

    • 07 January 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      Santos to file ABS-CBN renewal bill in the House after Sotto filed in the Senate

      Reacting to a query from reporters, Deputy Speaker and Batangas Rep. Vilma Santos said she will revive the rejected ABS-CBN legislative franchise application in the House of Representatives before session resumes on January 18. Santos welcomed the move by Senate President Vicente Sotto III who filed a bill granting ...

    %d bloggers like this: