• Page Views 2315
  • Lav Diaz’s “Norte, Hangga­nan ng Kasaysayan” is the official Philippine entry for the Best Foreign Language Film category of next year’s American Academy awards or the Oscars. This was confirmed to In­terAksyon by Film Academy of the Philippines director-general Leo Martinez who said the special com­mittee tasked with selecting the offi­cial Philippine entry made the deci­sion Wednesday.

    “We made the announce­ment to finally end all speculations,” Martinez said.

    Moira Lang (aka Raymond Lee), who is credited as the film’s producer along with Kristine Kin­tana, Maya Quirino, Kayan and In­terAksyon columnist Jessica Zafra, earlier posted the words “Philippine entry #oscars” in her Facebook page.

    Interaksyon had earlier predicted that “Norte” would be in strong contention for the selec­tion. The epic reimagining of Dos­toevsky’s classic novel “Crime and Punishment” that made its world premiere at the prestigious Cannes International Film Festival last year has since developed an internation­  al cachet that should boost its com­ing Oscar campaign.

    It received rave reviews from the New York Times, The Guardian, Film Comment and many other respected publications and online news and film sites. It is included among several lists of Best

    Films of 2014 including the British Film Institute’s venerable Sight & Sound magazine. It won Best Picture in the recently concluded Gawad Urian Awards of the Manunuri ng Peliku­lang Pilipino. Just recently, it also snagged four nominations in the coming Golden Screen Awards of the Entertainment Press Society.

    Written by Lav Diaz and Rody Vera, “Norte, Hangganan ng Kasaysayan” stars Sid Lucero, Archie Alemania, Angeli Bayani, Mailes Kanapi, Soliman Cruz, Hazel Orencio and Mae Paner. It recently concluded a successful two-week theatrical run in cinemas nation­wide.

    Announcement of the offi­cial nominees for the Best Foreign Language film category of the 87th Academy Awards will be on Janu­ary, 2015. The awards ceremonies are scheduled on February 22 of next year.

     

    Share

    Related Post

    Related Blogpost

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 13 May 2021
      3 days ago No comment

      Duterte vs Pacquiao: No fight, say political insiders

      It started on May 3 when Senator Manny Pacquiao, a known ally of President Rodrigo Duterte, said that he finds Duterte’s recent stance lacking on reported Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea. “Sa akin, nakukulangan ako, nakukulangan ako kumpara doon sa bago pa siya tumakbo, nage-eleksyon pa lang. ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Your census.Your community.Your future.

      Census information is used to plan programs and services in your community. Complete your census now!   Related

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Applications open tomorrow for new pathway to permanent residency for essential temporary workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution

      Ottawa—Last month, the Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced an innovative pathway to permanent residence for over 90,000 essential workers and international graduates of a Canadian institution who are actively contributing to Canada’s economy. This special public policy will grant permanent status to ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Canada first country to approve Pfizer vaccine for 12-15-year-old kids

      Canada has become the first country to approve the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for children between the ages of 12 and 15. Until Health Canada’s announcement of its approval Wednesday (May 5), the Pfizer vaccine was approved only for people 16 years and older. Health Canada has ...

    • 07 May 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      ABS-CBN marks 1 year shutdown – ‘Andito kami para sa’yo’

      Several Kapamilya stars took to social media to recount the harrowing experience of witnessing ABS-CBN going off air after the government issued a cease and desist order against the network exactly a year ago. On May 5, 2020, ABS-CBN signed off from free television and radio broadcast, a day ...

    %d bloggers like this: