Iza Calzado appeals to MTRCB to reconsider X rating of ‘Bliss’

  • Page Views 2190
  • Responding to the X rating the Movie and Television Review Classification Board gave her upcoming film “Bliss,” lead star Iza Calzado is appealing to the review board to reconsider.

    “Mawalang galang lang po sa MTRCB, nais kong lang pong maliwanagan kung ano yung standards natin ng X na pelikula. Bakit yung ibang mga foreign films na mas grabe pa ang mga eksena puwedeng maipalabas sa atin, at ang ‘Bliss’ hindi puwede? Hindi naman po porn ang pelikula namin. Sana kapag napalabas ang pelikula, tayo ang humusga,” she said.

    “I’d like to believe that my director—the award winning director of Heneral Luna—is a responsible director. Sana the film [would] be given a chance to be seen by the Filipino audience. Sana rin, this opens a discussion on our film rating standards,” Iza said in a statement furnished to InterAksyon by her manager, Noel Ferrer.

    For her portrayal of the film’s ill-fated lead character Jane Ciego, Iza won her first international acting recognition when she was honored with the Yakushi Pearl Award for Best Performer in the Osaka Asian Film Festival in Japan earlier this month.

    Ferrer ascribed the X rating to “explicit nudity” and told InterAksyon that the MTRCB committee’s report credited the nudity to Iza and another actress, Adrienne Vergara, who portrays a menacing nurse.

    The X rating means the MTRCB deems “Bliss” unfit for public exhibition. However, the producers can appeal the rating and submit the film for reevaluation.

    In most cases, producers are forced to edit out the scenes deemed offensive by the review board which might then give the film an R-18 or R-16 rating upon second or third review.

    But Iza’s appeal suggests that she prefers “Bliss” to be shown in its entirety and not watered down with further editing.

    In an earlier interview with InterAksyon, the film’s director, Jerrold Tarog, declined to discuss the details of the issue just yet.

    For its part, the film’s producer TBA Studios furnished InterAksyon with this press statement.

    “We understand and respect the decision of the MTRCB reviewing committee regarding the film ‘Bliss.’ We are currently going through the process of submitting an appeal for a second review and hope for a more favorable result.” (E. sallan, Interaksyon)

    Share

    New Posts Recently publish post More

    • 22 July 2021
      4 days ago No comment

      Lolit Solis hints at Kris Aquino’s possible run in 2022

      Will Kris Aquino run in the national elections in 2022? This was the question of veteran entertainment journalist Lolit Solis who promised to vote for Kris should she decide to run in the national elections next year. But Lolit advised Kris not to run for mayor in Quezon City ...

    • 22 July 2021
      4 days ago No comment

      Philippines administers 15.6 million COVID-19 shots

      The Philippines has administered 15.6 million doses against the COVID-19 virus. Harry Roque, spokesperson of President Rodrigo Duterte, shared this number in a media briefing Wednesday (July 21). Of the 15.6 million does administered by the government, Roque said 10,585,261 million persons got their first dose. As well, 5,031,301 ...

    • 17 July 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      First Nations peoples condemn tweet on Church burnings

      At a press conference in Vancouver, Pentecostal assistant minister Jenn Allan-Riley, a 60s scoop survivor whose mother attended residential school, called for the wave of church arsons to stop. She adds that “Burning down churches is not in solidarity with us Indigenous people. As I said, we do not ...

    • 17 July 2021
      1 week ago No comment

      Paki-Ayos: A New Service for Filipinos in Canada

      Paki-Ayos Services Inc. will do errands for you in the Philippines Do you need something done in the Philippines, but air fare, accommodations, and pasalubong cost too much for you to go back home? A new service, Paki-Ayos, is here to help. Forget about going on a very expensive ...

    • 15 July 2021
      2 weeks ago No comment

      COVID-19: More than 50 percent of eligible Canadians fully vaccinated

      CTV News has reported that more than 50 percent of Canadians who are eligible to receive a COVID-19 shot have now been fully vaccinated against the novel coronavirus. The news agency reported Tuesday (July 13) that based on its tracking, 50.06 percent of Canadians of ages 12 and up ...

    %d bloggers like this: